‘Tis the season to get the flu. It’s rough. You think you’re dying for a few days, and everyone you know avoids you like the plague. Maybe you got the flu shot and got another kind of flu, or maybe you’re allergic to eggs and can’t get a flu shot. Either way, here are a few tips for staying healthy this year.
- If possible, get the flu shot. You can get one at your local pharmacy, your primary care physician or Walmart. There are two Huntsville Hospital satellite locations that provide flu shots without an appointment. For most people with insurance, there is no cost. If you don’t have insurance, here’s a list of the cheapest places to get a flu shot.
- Avoid contact with anyone who might have the flu.
- If you think you might have the flu, or if you get a fever, stay home. Call your boss. Call your school. Just stay home.
- Use a tissue to cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough, and then be sure to throw it away immediately.
- Wash your hands — a lot.
- Use hand sanitizer. Go to Bath and Body Works and get some that smells good so you’ll want to use it. Get the moisturizing kind. Whatever it takes, find some that you don’t mind using.
- Clean and disinfect your home and office regularly.
- Avoid touching your nose, eyes and mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you do get sick, stay home for a full 24 hours after symptoms stop, according to the CDC.
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat healthy.
- Wipe down equipment at the gym.
- Use your own pen in public places.
If you do happen to get sick, call your doctor ASAP. He or she can prescribe antiviral medicines — not antibiotics — to make your illness shorter and more bearable.
You are welcome.
The Community Journal is dedicated to sharing the good news in our community. We believe when we focus on good, more good happens.
Do you know a good-news story that should be on the Community Journal? Send it to us by clicking here.
We are looking for video storytellers. Do you know how to use Facebook Live? Are you a storyteller or aspiring journalist? Would you like to be a part of our team? Contact us at [email protected]
We also want to invite you to join our new community, AUTHENTIK.city. We firmly believe people don’t hate each other as much as we’ve been led to believe, so we’ve created a community of people who want to be a part of the solution—a social platform based on real stories; a community grounded in respect and love for others. No bullies. No trolling. No ads. No judgment.
Click here for your invitation to join.